3rd Partnership Workshop of SEAMEO - China TVET Cultural Twinning Programme 25 - 26 July 2019
In response to the recommendation of the 2nd SEAMEO High Officials Meeting in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET), held in Bali, in May 2016 to promote the collaboration among TVET institutions in Southeast Asian countries with other regions beyond Southeast Asia, the SEAMEO Secretariat in collaboration with PR China through the ASEAN-China Center (ACC), Guizhou Provincial Department of Education (GPDE), and the Secretariat of China-ASEAN Education Cooperation Week (CAECW) has annually organized the Partnership Workshop of SEAMEO-China TVET Cultural Twinning Programme since 2017, back to back with the China-ASEAN Education Cooperation Week in Guiyang, PR China.
The 1st and 2nd Partnership Workshop of SEAMEO-China TVET Cultural Twinning Programme in 2017 and 2018 were participated by over 200 participants from TVET institutions and universities in Southeast Asian countries and China. The workshop aimed to promote collaboration between Southeast Asian and Chinese institutions through
cross-country partnership programmes such as management visits, teacher and student exchange programmes, scholarships, short course trainings, and joint researches.
Approximately 213 Frameworks of Cooperation/Letters of Agreement/MOUs between Chinese and Southeast Asian TVET institutions; and 600 agreed collaborative activities were signed at the SEAMEO-China Partnership Workshop in 2017 and 2018.
- 1st Partnership Workshop of SEAMEO-China TVET Cultural Twinning Programme
30-31 July 2019, Guiyang, PR China.
As a result from the agreements signed at the workshop in 2018, the partnership agreements between China and Southeast Asia became successful with approximately over 370 students exchanged, 163 teacher exchanged, over 250 scholarships from China provided to Southeast Asia, and at least 12 management and study visits, were implemented during September 2017 to October 2018. Moreover, 2 dual programs were in the process of development, and the establishment of ASEAN-China Teacher Development Center between SEAMEO VOCTECH, KOPERTIP, and Wuxi Institute was agreed in October 2018. (Data as recorded by SEAMEO in October 2018)
To strengthen the collaboration between the Southeast Asian TVET institutions and Chinese TVET institutions in 2019, the 3rd Partnership Workshop of SEAMEO-China TVET Cultural Twinning Programme was organized on 25-26 July 2019 in Guiyang, PR China. The workshop was conducted back to back with the 12th China-ASEAN Education Cooperation Week (22-26 July 2019).
II. Objectives of 3rd Partnership Workshop
- Strengthen and sustain long-term collaboration between TVET institutions in China and Southeast Asian countries;
- Provide opportunity of capacity development for TVET administrators, teachers, and students through cross-country partnership programmes between China and Southeast Asian countries such as student and teacher exchanges, scholarships, short course trainings, internships, and dual programmes;
- Set up the partnership agreements which can start the implementation in September 2019 onwards; and
- Develop a group of model TVET institutions of best practices for cross-country partnership development.
The proposed activities for cross-country collaboration to be discussed at the workshop between China and Southeast Asia may include as follows:
- Benchmarking/Management Visit
- Student Exchange and Internship for 1 month up to 1 year.
- Student Scholarships
- Teacher Exchange (Language and Technical subjects)
- Short Course Trainings for Teachers
- Online Twinning Classroom
- Joint Student Activities
- Joint Researches
- Development of Dual or Doubled Degree Programmes
- Others as discussed among parties
Guizhou Provincial Department of Education (GPDE)
The CACEW Secretariat
ASEAN China Center
Guizhou Polytechnic of Construction.
IV. Eligible TVET Institutions to be Selected to Join the 3rd Workshop:
The Workshop is participated by approximately 100-120 participants who are from:
- Selected 25 advanced TVET colleges/polytechnics/universities from China
- Selected 25 advanced TVET colleges/polytechnics/universities from Southeast Asia
The criteria to select the participating institutions from Southeast Asian countries are as follows:
- Southeast Asian TVET Institutions which joined the SEAMEO-China Programme since 2017 and have actively collaborated with Chinese Institutions such as student exchanges, teacher exchanges, scholarships, management visits and other forms of collaboration.
- 1-2 persons
from each TVET institution who are from the Management Level/Decision Makers such as Director, Deputy Director, or Head of Programme.
- The participating TVET institutions must provide Diploma, or Higher Diploma, Bachelor in at least two areas of the following 8 main study areas:
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Engineering: Mechatronics, Mechanics, Electronics, and Manufacturing
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Computer Science, Information Technology
- Business, Marketing, Logistics, Finance
- Multimedia and Creative Industry
- Health Science
- Language Education
- The participants must be able to communicate in English.
- The participating TVET institutions must have a policy in place at the institutional level to promote cross-country collaboration between China and Southeast Asian countries.
- The participating TVET institutions should have commitment for participating in this programme.
- The participating TVET institutions must have EXPERIENCES or potential in developing collaborative programmes between China and Southeast Asia.
- The participating TVET institutions are able to commit to implement the collaborative programme such as student and teacher exchange, starting September 2019 and onwards.
V. Expected Outputs:
The expected outputs from the 3rd Partnership Workshop are as follows:
- Sharing of implementation experiences from selected Southeast Asian institutions and Chinese institutions on the current collaborations such as teacher and student exchange programmes
- Identification of collaborative or scaling-up collaborative activities under the SEAMEO-China TVET Cultural Twinning Programme
- Establishment of commitments/agreements (in pair or small group) and collaborative action plans between TVET institutions in China and Southeast Asia that can be implemented in September 2019 onwards.
- Commitment for submitting the collaborative report/evaluation to SEAMEO Secretariat in early 2020.
VI. Contact Persons
Ms Piyapa (SEA-TVET Coordinator)
Mobile/Whatsapp: +6695 165 5002
Wechat id: tuktar2410
Line id: tuktar2410
Organisers in China
- Main Coordinator of Workshop Host, Visa Application Letter, Hotel, Airport Transfers, Logistic and Workshop Venue Arrangement:
Mr Xue Guangxing (Jason), Officer of International Cooperation Office
Guizhou Polytechnic of Construction.
, Wechat id: sduxgx
- Main Coordinator of ASEAN China Center for invitation to Chinese institutions:
Ms Huang Yingying, Program Officer
ASEAN China Center